Saturday, June 18, 2011

Ay, Sabado.

Well today was my first weekend with the family, and boy was it an exhausting day! We started off with the children's graduation from their current school, which was very cute. Last night, Danny told me that they were singing a song in English and they did a performance of "If I Could Build the World a Home" which was darling. Then after graduation, the school provided a brunch spread of DELICIOUS snacks. They had lox and all sorts of munchies that I just couldn't believe. Heaven!
After that, we went to a BBQ at one of the other parent's house and enjoyed the sun and had some pollo asado. All the parents are very nice and eager to help me with my Spanish (and feed me; I can't tell you how often I'm asked if I want more food!), so it was a very pleasant afternoon.
After THAT, we went to the new school the children will be going to next year, because they were having a sports exhibition and a kind of festival. We watched Danny do Judo and the children played in bouncing castles. Then, they had a machine spray foam and bubbles everywhere, which the children had a blast with.
Of course, they fell asleep on the way home. Haha, it was a productive day! I had tons of fun with them, and Danny even spoke English to me without me asking! We were getting ready to go to the BBQ and he told me "Gonzalo (the child whose house we were going to) is my friend." Such a proud au pair moment!
But yes, we are finally getting a rhythm. I still feel like I'm not doing very much. Laura is always so surprised and thankful whenever I help the children change clothes or carry one of their bags, but I think that's pretty standard. And she's always fussing about how much I eat. I'm starting to feel more at home and beginning to help myself to stuff, so I'm surprised she still worries about about it so much.
Nevertheless, life is good here! Not much to complain about. I found out today that Blackberry Messaging, which I've been using to keep in touch with my parents and boyfriend, is not free abroad like we thought, which is SOOO upsetting. It's seriously been a major crutch for me because, while I am doing better, it still is pretty lonely. My mom and Devin are both looking into alternatives because I don't know if I can do 2 months without being able to keep in touch like that! If you have any suggestions, please let me know!
Well, miss you all! Thanks for checking in here! See you in about 55 days! :)

1 comment:

Erin Quinn said...

Sounds like you are doing great, sweetheart! Miss you!